Chemmeen Peera / Prawns with Grated Coconut
Prep Time : 20-25 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Serves : 5 to 6 persons
- Prawns – 1/2 Kg (cleaned and deveined)
- Coconut shredded – 1 large coconut / 1 1/2 small coconuts
- Green Chillies – 4 nos. – Slit
- Small onions (Shallots) – 5-6 nos.(chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (chopped)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
- Kudampuli (Fish Tamarind) – 3 to 4 medium pieces (cleaned)
- Coconut oil – 4 to 5 tsp./ as required
- Salt to taste
- Clean, devein the prawns , cut them into small pieces (1 inch) and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the kudampuli in water for 8-10 mins.
- Mix the prawns, grated coconut, ginger, shallots, green chillies, turmeric powder and salt. Give this mixture a quick grind in the mixie.
- Heat coconut oil in a claypot and then add the above mixture along with 1/2cup water, kudampuli and salt.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 8-10 mins with occasional stirring. Ensure there is enough water so that the mixture does not get burned at the bottom of the vessel.
- Open the lid, add full curry leaf sprigs and coconut oil to the mixture and cook for another 5 mins.
- Ensure there is a little water in the dish as it will become dry once it cools down.
- Normally Peera dishes have chilli powder but I prefer the dish not to be too spicy and also have a yellow colour hence I do not add the chilli powder and instead use green chillies.
- If you are using small prawns (2 inch size) do cut them into 2 pieces so that the individual pieces absorb the flavour.
- If you have an Earthen/Clay pot then prepare the dish in it as the taste would taste better.
One thought on “Chemmeen Peera / Prawns with Grated Coconut”
This is something new to me and I love it. Thanks for sharing.